News

Decatur House Explodes; Gas Leak to Blame

Decatur House Explodes; Gas Leak to Blame

The house near Monroe and Hay in Decatur exploded Friday./Photo courtesy WAND-TV

A house near Decatur Memorial Hospital has exploded, destroying it and damaging houses around it.

The explosion happened early Friday afternoon near the corner of Hay and Monroe Streets, just south of DMH. Decatur Deputy Fire Chief Jeff Abbott told our news partners at WAND-TV that there were no injuries.

“The house that exploded was vacant, the house to the north… people were living there but they weren’t home,” Abbott said. “There was a lady home in the house to the south who was, it’s my understanding, she was blown across the living room when the house exploded, but she’s uninjured.”

Abbott says a leaking gas line is to blame. Ameren capped service and the house will be leveled; it’s a total loss.

Recent Headlines

in Entertainment

See what’s new on Netflix this month

17-overlay6

Are you over fireworks and cookouts? Stay inside and binge on these movies and shows that are now showing on Netflix.

in Entertainment, Sports

Mayweather, Pacquiao, Perry among the ‘best paid’ celebrities

maypac

Musicians and athletes dominate the world's highest-paid celebs, according to the latest rankings.

in Entertainment, National

Celebrate safely with these fireworks tips

Since Independence Day falls during the work week, members of St. Richard Catholic Church celebrated the holiday on Sunday, June 30, 2013, with a picnic-style outing complete with fireworks that could be seen throughout the northeast Jackson, Miss. neighborhood. The long streamers were recorded in a 13-second time exposure. (AP Photo/Rogelio V. Solis)

Don't be one of the thousands of Americans injured by fireworks on July Fourth. Stay safe and have a happy holiday!