News

NFL eliminates cap on player payments for concussions

NFL eliminates cap on player payments for concussions

CONCUSSIONS:Under the revised terms, funds will be available once the compensation program is set up to any retired player who develops certain neurocognitive conditions, including dementia, Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease, according to a statement from the NFL. Photo: Associated Press

By Curtis Skinner

(Reuters) – The National Football League has agreed to eliminate the cap on monetary awards available to players who were part of a major lawsuit over concussions suffered on the field, the NFL said on Wednesday.

The lawsuit was settled between the U.S. league and thousands of former players last August at $765 million, but a federal judge hesitated to sign off on the deal because she worried it would not be enough money to pay all the affected players.

Under the revised terms, funds will be available once the compensation program is set up to any retired player who develops certain neurocognitive conditions, including dementia, Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease, according to a statement from the NFL.

The new settlement was reached under the supervision of U.S. District Judge Anita Brody, who presided over the case and had expressed concerns about the settlement. Brody must still finalize the agreement, which was filed in the U.S. District Court for Eastern Pennsylvania for preliminary approval.

“This agreement will give retired players and their families immediate help if they suffer from a qualifying neurocognitive illness, and provide peace of mind to those who fear they may develop a condition in the future,” said Christopher Seeger and Sol Weiss, attorneys for the players, in a statement.

In addition, the agreement requires the NFL to pay for the costs of notifying injured players and administrating the settlement. The league will also set aside $10 million for education on concussion prevention.

Recent Headlines

in Entertainment

Today in entertainment history: July 29

Fresh
benjerrys

A look back at the Hollywood headlines that went down in history.

in Music

Glen Matlock denies new Sex Pistols reunion

John Lydon, right, and Glen Matlock of The Sex Pistols perform at the Roxy in West Hollywood, Calif., on Thursday, Oct. 25, 2007.

Sex Pistols star Glen Matlock dashes fans' hopes of another reunion by insisting he hasn't had any contact with John Lydon in five years.

in Music

Aretha Franklin storms out of fast food joint

FILE - In this May 11, 2013 file photo, Aretha Franklin performs during McDonald's Gospelfest 2013 at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.Franklin won’t say what has caused her latest health problems, but says she’s had a “miraculous” recovery and is looking forward to performing soon.In a phone interview on Tuesday, Aug. 20, Franklin said that she recently had a cat scan and that it showed she was 85 percent improved. The 71-year-old has canceled several concerts and public appearances and blamed it on unspecified treatment.

Aretha Franklin stormed out a Johnny Rockets in Ontario, Canada last week after a nasty encounter with a rude employee.