News

Judge approves NFL concussion settlement

Judge approves NFL concussion settlement

CONCUSSIONS:More than 4,500 former players have filed suit, some accusing the league of fraud for its handling of concussions. Photo: Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A federal judge has granted preliminary approval to a deal that would compensate former NFL players for concussion-related claims.

Attorneys Sol Weiss and Christopher Seeger said in a statement that Monday’s decision represents “an extraordinary settlement” for the plaintiffs.

The NFL last month agreed to remove a $675 million cap on damages after U.S. District Judge Anita Brody questioned whether there would be enough money to pay all claims.

The settlement is designed to last at least 65 years and cover retirees who develop Lou Gehrig’s disease and other neurological problems.

More than 4,500 former players have filed suit, some accusing the league of fraud for its handling of concussions.

Recent Headlines

5 hours ago in Entertainment

‘Oregon Trail,’ ‘Sonic’ join World Video Game Hall of Fame

videogamehall2016AP

Last year, "Super Mario Bros." and "Pong" were among the first inductees to the World Video Game Hall of Fame. The class of 2016 is just as strong.

8 hours ago in Entertainment

Seth MacFarlane returning to Fox with new sci-fi series

sethmacfarlane536713938826

The "Family Guy" star is producing a new series set 300 years in the future.

11 hours ago in Music

‘You can’t always get what you want,’ Stones tell Trump

rollingstonesREUTERS

The Rolling Stones told Republican presidential hopeful Donald Trump on Wednesday to stop using the band's music for his campaign after artists such as Adele and R.E.M. made the same request.