News

Aretha Franklin storms out of fast food joint

Aretha Franklin storms out of fast food joint

Aretha Franklin performs during McDonald's Gospelfest 2013 at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. on May 11, 2013. Photo: WENN/Charles Sykes/Invision/File

Music icon Aretha Franklin stormed out of a fast food restaurant in Ontario, Canada last week after a nasty encounter with a rude employee.

The Queen of Soul stopped by the Johnny Rockets eatery in Niagara Falls after performing a sold-out gig in nearby Lewiston, New York and took a seat at an empty booth as she waited for her hamburger and Cherry Coke take out order to be prepared.

However, she was soon confronted by a young waitress who demanded Franklin move from the booth as tables were reserved for eat-in customers only, even though it wasn’t busy.

The singer, who was with her nephew at the time, decided she would have her burger at the restaurant instead, but the server insisted that was not allowed as she had already placed her order for takeaway.

The woman then ordered Franklin to stand outside the Johnny Rockets venue, which was located inside a food court, but the veteran star had had enough.

Franklin tells the New York Daily News, “I got up and walked out. I said, ‘You should eat it yourself and you pay for it.’

“My nephew mentioned to her who I was and she said she didn’t care who I was.”

The Respect hitmaker, 72, reveals she was disgusted by the waitress’ behavior and insists she needs to be “spoken to” about her attitude, saying, “She’s a public servant and she shouldn’t speak that way to anybody, celebrities or non-celebrities.

However, Franklin claims the encounter won’t put her off eating at Johnny Rockets again. She adds, “I like Johnny Rockets and I’ll go on liking Johnny Rockets, but not that one.”

A spokesperson for the franchise owner has since issued a public apology to Franklin for the actions of “a new and very young employee”.

Recent Headlines

6 hours ago in Entertainment

‘Oregon Trail,’ ‘Sonic’ join World Video Game Hall of Fame

videogamehall2016AP

Last year, "Super Mario Bros." and "Pong" were among the first inductees to the World Video Game Hall of Fame. The class of 2016 is just as strong.

10 hours ago in Entertainment

Seth MacFarlane returning to Fox with new sci-fi series

sethmacfarlane536713938826

The "Family Guy" star is producing a new series set 300 years in the future.

13 hours ago in Music

‘You can’t always get what you want,’ Stones tell Trump

rollingstonesREUTERS

The Rolling Stones told Republican presidential hopeful Donald Trump on Wednesday to stop using the band's music for his campaign after artists such as Adele and R.E.M. made the same request.